Monday, October 6, 2008

Thoughts on Second Winds

. Monday, October 6, 2008


“Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they’ve got a second.” -William James

On through Utah and into Colorado. The landscapes change but the motion doesn’t. One foot after the other. One mile after the other. Or, as we now know, in Charlie’s case - one pedal stroke after the other. It’s been an eventful week. Charlie’s MRI was negative, but Dr. Paul still has him taking it easy. You can’t hold somebody like Charlie Engle back. The man is a force of nature. He is an open, honest and compassionate person whose positive energy bleeds into everything and everyone around him.
As a filmmaker, you want people who are both compelling and able to express themselves, thus Charlie is a joy to work with and shoot. When I attended the Nehst Studio Filmmaker’s Boot Camp six months ago I never would have thought I’d be in the position I’m in now, to document and witness two world class athletes battling against the road and themselves everyday to move themselves across the country. Whatever happens, happens. But this is a true documenting of the will of the human spirit, and a true connection has been established with the people we meet along the way.

The second wind is a well-known fact of human endeavor, it’s pushing through when you have nothing left. When I ask people what they think of what Charlie and Marshall are doing, some just laugh and shake their heads, some nod in appreciation, while others don’t say anything but look past me down the road. Sometimes I see a look of possibility flash across their faces. I interpret this as a signal something has clicked in their head or body: I wonder what I could do if I set my mind to it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger.com | Design by Delicious Design Studio